Tuesday, August 9, 2011

All-nighters at Law Firms

The Guardian has a piece about all nighters at London law firms with a photo of a Japanese capsule hotel - supposedly similar to emergency sleeping arrangements at some firms. A quote from the article:
"One Sunday morning as I was eating breakfast I got a call from my boss asking me to come in immediately. I worked that day until 1am, then went home for some sleep. I was back in at 7am on Monday, working through until 6am on Tuesday. At that point I got three hours' sleep at the office, before starting work again at midday and continuing right through until 7am on Wednesday – when, thank God, the deal closed."

This looks like pretty pedestrian stuff. I remember tougher days from my stint on Wall Street. While many thrive on this sort of machismo, I would be surprised if repeated all-nighters didn't impose a significant cost in the form of reduced quality.